Can A Celebrant Conduct a Legal Marriage Ceremony in Ireland ?
Not all Celebrants in Ireland are authorised to conduct legal marriages, and here’s why.
Here in Ireland there is an abundance of Celebrants who are HSE registered Marriage Solemnisers like myself and therefore duly authorised to conduct legal marriage ceremonies. However there is also a growing number of Celebrants who are not authorised to Solemnise legal marriages.
It’s very disturbing that some of the unauthorised Celebrants are using manipulative trickery in order to get their bookings from unsuspecting couples, like:
- Using a misleading job title of “Registered Celebrant” to entice you to make contact with them.
- Once you have contacted them, they will use more manipulative trickery like telling you that there is a shortage of Solemnisers so you won’t find one available on your wedding date because they are booked up for at least two years. (not true)
- Or that if you choose a Registered Solemniser as your Celebrant your ceremony design will be restricted by the rules of the organisation the Solemniser belongs to. (partly true but very much depends which Solemniser you choose)
- Some may tell you that to be legally married in Ireland with a unique & personalised non-Church ceremony, you must book them as your Celebrant for a non-legal wedding with your family & friends,, and “do the legals” with your witnesses in the Registry Office on a different day. (not true)
Every couple who wishes to get married in Ireland, must know the truth about their options for legal marriage in Ireland – only a Registered Solemniser can conduct a legal marriage.
There are 3 types of Celebrants who can legally marry you in Ireland:
- Priest or Religious Clergy from a Religion or Religious Order, with or without a belief in God
- HSE Civil Registrar from the Registry Office
- Non-denominational Religious or Secular Solemnisers who don’t belong to a designated Religion or Religious Order.
I am in the number 3 type. I am a non-denominational Minister and I am duly authorised by the State to Solemnise legal marriage of any style to suit your wishes.
The best personnel to provide information to the public regarding getting legally married in Ireland are Registered Solemnisers, who have a full working knowledge of the Marriage Act.
If you wish to be legally married with personalised and meaningful ceremony created to your own wishes, without any need to attend the Registry Office on a separate day with your witnesses for a Registry Office marriage, you must choose a Registered Solemniser like myself as your Celebrant.
Some important facts are:
- There is absolutely no shortage of Marriage Solemnisers in Ireland.
- If you wish to be legally married in Ireland with a personalised ceremony of your own style, your celebrant must be duly authorised and recognised by the HSE as a Registered Solemniser of Marriages. (like myself)
Please don’t hesitate to get in touch for an obligation-free quick chat to answer any questions you might have. I would be honoured to work with you.